CONFIDENCE: What Everybody Should Wear at Any Age and Anywhere!!

 


Stereotypes, society expectations, and family traditions are just a few of the “imposing” believes and ideas some people have about other human beings, however, just because we were born in a specific country, society, or family, it does not mean those believes and ideas are correct and it does not mean, either we must follow them.

Of course, there are many countries in this vast earth, where there are laws and norms of conduct and dressing, stablished and regulated by those countries and their governments, and if we choose to visit and live in those countries, in my opinion, then we must follow their regulations, so I am not taking about what a country may and may not allow their citizens to wear, but I am talking about “Age appropriate” clothing.

Where bikinis and very short, shorts are allowed, any woman, or man, of any age, should be able to wear it without someone telling them bikinis are not appropriate for people over 60, for example.

Nobody should be telling a woman that is 80 years old not to wear a shirt that shows “Too much cleavage” because that looks so “ridiculous” on them. I say: “Honey, you go and wear anything that makes you feel confident and happy and then you would look so beautiful and full of life!!”

Anyone should be able to show off their belly buttons anywhere if that is what they want to do, no matter if they are 6 years old or 90. (I am sure the 6 year old will ask someone else for a coat before going out in 5 degree weather in Chicago, in December, and the 90 year old will be more comfortable in Miami, walking down the beach on a very humid and hot December afternoon)

People are smart and people really get the word “appropriate” and I am sure that most people will have empathy and respect, and they will actually cover themselves up while attending a funeral, without anyone telling them what is and is not “appropriate’ for that occasion.

And even for funerals, nobody should have the right to tell someone invited to attend, that because they do not wear black clothing and instead very colorful makeup and clothing, they do not feel pain, are not sad, and are “disrespecting” the dead person and his or her loved ones.

I was about 11 years old, and I lived in the Rain Forest of Panama, a very beautiful mountainous region, where people are very conservative and where the weather is extremely cold. Growing up, we had to wear jeans, boots, beanie hats and jackets and wool sweaters almost all year round. We were always covered up head to toe, and due to that I hardly wore clothing that would show a lot of skin, except when I visited David, which is a very hot city, very close to the beaches.

Growing up in Panama and visiting the town of Colon a few times, was very refreshing for me. I saw many 60 years old in bikinis, both white and black women, tourists as well as Panamanians, enjoying the beautiful beaches and dancing to tropical music.

These women radiated a lot of confidence, and this caused a big impression on me and at that time I was not sure if the warmer weather caused the confidence, or if wearing the bikinis did, however, today, I know the fact that these women had the freedom to be themselves, they knew it and that boosted their confidence.

I saw this guy the other day, wearing a beautiful skirt and I told him so and he gave me this surprising look, giving me a wide beautiful smile and saying thank you, as if nobody had ever noticed that beautiful skirt on him and told him so. I then told him I had seen a lot of guys wearing kilts before and I always admire those man beautiful strong legs and I hope more men wore not only kilts, but actual skirts and he smiled more at me, telling me he wears mostly skirts. (Talking about confidence)

Maybe a bit unrelated to this post, but I was very curious about what is worn underneath the kilt and many years ago, a Scottish guy, told the “traditional” kilt is worn without anything else underneath, so there.

We live in a society that is becoming more accepting, more inclusive, more accommodating, however, there are many people still, even in these types of societies, that do not have an open mind, have not been around that much and still following other people’s expectations, traditions and ideas, criticizing and putting others down, because others choose to think “out of the box” What is sad is that the people criticizing lack a lot of confidence themselves, and are living the life of others not their own.

People should wear what they want to wear, at any age and anywhere. Period. People should not hide their true essence, who they really are, and what they like, just to fill other people’s expectations, ideas and traditions. If you want to get tattoos, do it. If you want to pierce your body, then do it. If you want to shave off your hair, and specially if you are a woman, or color it any color, then that is your decision and your right.

I am an artist and I appreciate beautiful art and I do not do tattoos on my body; however, I notice, and I see beautiful pieces of art on other people’s bodies, and I tell someone if I like their tattoos, the art they carry around and if I do not like it, then I do not say anything.

I have great respect for people that have tattoos, especially if they have a lot of them and especially if their bodies are almost completely covered by them, because I could not imagen a needle just prickling any parts of my body, not even just one time.

Body piercing, body art, tattooing, hair coloring, makeup, fashion and many other “individual” expressions of self, have been going around since the beginning of time I am sure, with so many people and countries and civilizations and tribes still doing it and so many people still not doing it and that is okay. Nothing is or is not appropriate for me and for you to say. We know nothing and we know a lot!

We know what makes us happy and what does not. We all seek self-expression and validation. We know what others say must be important for us to hear, so we want to say something ourselves. We exist in this world just like all others and if they are important so are we.

And I must tell you are as important as me and them and all!! We cannot do without others, however, if others are mean and if others are not interested in seeing you happy and well and confident, and if they want to put you down and make you feel bad, you need to get away from those people.

And if you are the one that is putting people down and the one that criticizes and seek only the bad in people, then it means you lack confidence and you must go get it, by doing those things other people are doing, without seeking acceptance from others and living your own life. 

So “niños y niñas” of whatever age you are. (We should all be like children inside, eternally) Go, be yourselves and wear that bikini of yours, or that small skirt, that tank top, or that very short, short this coming Summer. Waer all the makeup you want or stop using it at all. Color your hair a rainbow or go gray!!!!! Let that beautiful you enjoy the rays of the sun, play with the water, smile while dancing to the beautiful sounds of nature and the tropical music.

Have the confidence that you are perfect just the way you are, so show the world!



-La Niña Internacional-

Popular Posts